Monday, May 08, 2006

The world's most complicated rugby tournament?

No - not this one.

I happened to glance at the format of the forthcoming Women's Rugby World Cup (to be held in Canada in September). I noticed that in the 12 team event England had been drawn in the same group as Australia and Ireland, which means (obviously) that in their pool games they will play... the USA, South Africa, and France.

Pardon?

No - that's the way it works. And then somehow - magically - after playing games against teams not in the same group as them, all the teams in the competition will be ranked 1-12 (how?) and will then play semi finals and finals.

I can't help thinking that if I'd come up with a structure like this for our tournament (and the U14s have 12 teams...) I've been lynched. And justifiably too!

Anyone wishing to try to get their mind round this is welcome to visit http://www.rwcwomens.com/

No comments: